Star Trek Online Season 9.5 brought new R&D System, and with it came new materials. These materials are needed for any R&D project, though it is not so easy to obtain them.
Don't forget to like us on FACEBOOK, thanks so much!
Star Trek Online fans have long been waiting for new Research and Development system which would enable them to craft their favourite items. You can access new R&D through Duty Officers Window and get familiar with it.
Star Trek Online R&D Materials How To
New materials are needed to start any project in R&D System and they fall into three main categories: gases, particles and metals. So far we had Common, Uncommon and Rare crafting materials, but with the new system we got Very Rare ones whose drop rate is scarce.
There are several ways to obtain R&D materials. You can send your Duty Officers on Scientific Assignments same as before. These assignments are still named with scan for…something. This part hasn’t changed, nor did the scanning element throughout the missions and while visiting certain systems.
Season 9.5 introduced two new ways of gathering (grinding) materials. The first one is through ZEN store. You can buy 1 Research and Development Pack for 300 ZEN, or four packs for 1000. Each pack contains:
- 15 Common, Uncommon, Rare, or Very Rare Materials.
- 15 Uncommon, Rare, or Very Rare Materials.
- 6 Rare, or Very Rare Materials.
- 4 Very Rare Materials.
- 3 Mk 2 or better R&D Components.
- 3 Mk 6 or better R&D Components.
- 2 Mk 10 or better R&D Components.
- 3 Random R&D Catalysts.
Buying Packs through ZEN store is the fastest way of course, but what if you can’t or won’t spend a huge amount of ZEN to get your favourite items. If so, then you can do PvE queued missions. Each mission will give you 1 pack, though only Elite missions have a chance to drop Very Rare Ones.
R&D Materials gained by playing PvE Queue Missions
Any mission can give you Common, Uncommon, or Rare materials which are as follows:
- Hydrazine Gas (Common)
- Trionium Gas (Common)
- Duranium (Common)
- Magnesite (Common)
- Hexaflourine Gas (Uncommon)
- Tritanium (Uncommon)
- Thoron Particle (Uncommon)
- Verteron Particle (Uncommon)
- Tetrazine Gas (Rare)
- Rubidium (Rare)
- Beta-Tachyon Particle (Rare)
- Z-Particle (Rare)
Very Rare R&D Materials drop from Elite PvE Missions
- Trellium-K drops from Elite STF Space missions.
- Radiogenic Particle drops from Elite Crystalline Catastrophe mission.
- Dentarium drops from Elite Undine Infiltration Mission.
- Argonite Gas drops from Viscous Cycle and Undine Assault Elite missions.
- Plekton Particle drops from Elite STF Ground missions.
- Craylon Gas – should drop from Storming the Spire and The Breach Elite missions.
The drop rate for Very Rare R&D Materials is low, though it was to be expected. Developers did state that everything can be found by playing the game. Some might say it will take a long time to collect all materials needed to craft Mk XII items, but if you don’t play the game then there is no point in having the best equipment you can get.
Of course, you can always buy and sell everything through Exchange. At the moment R&D Materials are priced high, might be wiser to go for the Packs and hope you will be lucky enough to get Very Rare ones for your project. If you have some patience and enjoy playing Star Trek Online, then it should be no problem to collect it all through PvE Queue Missions. At least you could try to get most of it this way then just buy Very Rare gases, metals and particles.
Duty Officers are needed for R&D Projects. You can get them by doing same missions as usual, and there is also one new mission added at Personnel Officer at Starfleet Academy. It is called Request R&D Assistance, costs 1,000 dilithium and lasts for 48 hours. Very Rare Duty Officers will give you higher chance of crafting the best items.
R&D Experience Requirements
All R&D Schools have the same Experience Requirements:
- 0 to 1st = 30 XP
- 1st to 2nd = 260 XP
- 2nd to 3rd = 10,000 XP
- 3rd to 4th = 30,000 XP
- 4th to 5th = 48,000 XP
- 5th to 6th = 68,400 XP
- 6th to 7th = 93,600 XP
- 7th to 8th = 120,600 XP
- 8th to 9th = 149,400 XP
- 9th to 10th = 180,000 XP
- 10th to 11th = 252,000 XP
- 11th to 12th = 333,000 XP
- 12th to 13th = 423,000 XP
- 13th to 14th = 522,000 XP
- 14th to 15th = 630,000 XP
- 15th to 16th = 882,000 XP
- 16th to 17th = 1,152,000 XP
- 17th to 18th = 1,440,000 XP
- 18th to 19th = 1,746,000 XP
- 19th to 20th = 2,070,000 XP
Dolores is SEO and Digital Marketing consultant who has been completely hog-washed into doing this site by KC.